1/12/2014

MELBOURNE (or 'Stockholm, Bristol and NYC has a love child')

It is mid January and Melbourne is in the beginning of a plus-40-degress-four-days-in-a-row period, and these are of course coinciding with my first days in the city. When I arrive at Tullamarine airport just after midnight local time it's well above thirty celsius. As I can't check in at the hostel until 10am the following morning, I spend my first night sleeping on a pile of laundry bags in the corridor.
City glitter. One of many evenings at the Spencer's balcony, watching that darn ferris wheel.
Despite how it literally hurts to breathe in the heat, I am very excited to explore the city. Here's like a mixture of Bristol, Stockholm and perhaps New York City. (Perhaps, as I've never been to the big apple). Colonial buildings crosses skyscrapers and street art. Some days I feel, because of the time difference, like I live in a universe parallell to where my loved ones are. While they're doing their morning chores and head off to work/university in Europe, I'm in the future wandering these streets and if I were to get run over by a tram, this town's full of them, no one would know who I even was.
Can't write about Melbourne without featuring Ganesha. 
Being alone and nearly broke in a new city is definately a challenge. But it is an important lesson that everything works out, eventually. I find a job cleaning at different festivals (festival season, yay!), do work for accommondation at the hostel (where I'll end up staying for the next 4 months) and meet some really good people to spend time with in the Melbourne summer. Suddenly the sun is shining again.