4/19/2014

THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD.

Leaving Melbourne and being dramatically thrown straight into an RV with yer folks that you haven't seen in months. Afterwards like this, I'm happy to announce that Yes - we survived our 8 day road trip through Victoria and SA. Despite how it was, indeed, a great road, 8 days was far too much. Especially seeing how this RV we rented was designed for two adults and... One child. 
Two adults and one child. What that means is basically that I, the child, had to spend the days squeezed in between the two of them (the adults) in the front seat. Now we shall not forget how a certain person, to my right, was in the midst of severe nicotine (in terms of snus) withdrawal mood swings and the person to my left wasn't coping too well, mentally, with the fact that traffic suddenly had swaped sides. At my position in the middle of the car I had two very important tasks that I took on with fullest responsibility: a) being the manual GPS and b) being the announcer of The Magic Words. ("OK, snack break!").
       Yet, the days were nothing compared to the nights. The nights that I, as the beloved and privileged child that I am, had to spend on the marvelous LOFT*.
Now the *Loft offers you a very generous 1,5 metre to stretch out on with a claustropobic height of, say, 25 centimetres. To top things off all I got in terms of a duvet the first night was a towel, as the car rental people only brought us one blanket to share between 3 people. How exactly this blanket was supposed to cover first two people on the bottom levell which, mind you, it barely did - then stetch all the way up to the marvelous loft? Well, to this day, it beats me...
The beautiful scenery made it all worth while though. Driving through South Coast Australia was like travelling through a range of all other countries I've visited. You just don't know what sort of vegetation the next corner (and there's quite a few of them) will bring.